Guide: How to Paint Your Dog’s House Properly

It is natural for you to try as much as possible to keep your dog as healthy and happy as possible. If you are a signwriter, you have likely already painted the pet’s house to make it more presentable and clean. The problem is that you may not clearly tell how your loved one is feeling about these changes. For that matter, you need to learn some basics on the type of paint that you need to use to be able to give them the quality of life that they deserve.

Common Paints People Choose 

  • Lead Paints

This paint is highly dangerous to your dog despite that may uninformed people use it. They can cause symptoms immediately. In many cases, it can take a while before these symptoms are evident.

That means you should altogether avoid lead paints. Paints without led can be what you need. But they still cause some little more than mild gastrointestinal upset, especially if there is too much exposure. If the paint you want to use contains glycols, such as ethylene glycol, you should not use it. When your pet ingests it in concentrated form, it could have adverse effects on their health. As such, whether you choose a lead paint or not, you need to be sure of its content to avoid unnecessary life-threatening emergencies.

  • Water-based Paint

If you want a paint that cannot cause poisoning and toxicity, this is the perfect solution. However, it is not an idea that you want a totally risk-free paint. It may irritate the skin of your pet and the mucous membranes. If they ingest large quantities, be sure you will deal with nausea and vomiting problems.

  • Latex Paints

These also fall in the group of non-toxic paints. You can use it, but moderation is still essential. If you are using the glycol type, the high concentration can cause many health problems, such as metabolic acidosis, crystals in the urine, and respiratory depression. That is not all. You can face much more severe problems if you delay administering the right treatment. Irreversible kidney failure, for example, can occur and make your life and that of your dog extremely difficult.

  • Oil-based Paints

Oil-based paints are another big problem. The reason is that they contain lots of solvents that if you or your loved one inhales while either vomiting or drinking can cause many laxative effects. Difficulty in breathing and aspiration pneumonia is some of the most worrisome life-threatening problems that you can expect if you ingest any oil-based paint or varnish. But they can also act as lubricants and cause severe diarrhea. 

Moreover, given that you will usually find heavy metals, such as cobalt, lead, and cadmium, in them the paints, you can expect a higher level of poisoning. For example, lead can interfere with the healthy development of red blood cells, which makes it possible very dangerous. So, for your loverly pets to be safe, you need to protect them using the right products.

Symptoms of Paint Poisoning

There are several symptoms of paint poisoning. However, there are a few of the most common ones that you need to look out for after exposure. Find them below.

  • Tremors
  • Difficulty in breathing
  • Diarrhea
  • Walking like a drunk person
  • Vomiting
  • Depression or lethargy

Once you notice these symptoms, quickly call your vet. He or she will professionally diagnosis the nature and level of poisoning and help you to get the right solution.

  • How to Prevent Paint Poisoning
  • Store your paints in a place where your dog cannot reach
  • Properly dispose of the wastes
  • Use your dog leash to keep your dog out of the area where you have painted
  • Remove any loose paint from the environment
  • Paint in a well-ventilated area

 What Dose is Harmful

 You may be asking whether there is a specific amount of paints that experts consider safe enough. There is not scientific research that has established what you can call a toxic-dose. As such, you are left on your own to make the best use of your personal judgment.

You can overcome the challenge though if you are well informed. When you are considering using a particular paint, have the essential factors in mind. Note that the size and weight of your pet will determine how much they can withstand. Additionally, ensure the ingredients used are safe and avoid any paint that contains heavy metals.

Final Thoughts

Painting the house of your dog can make it eye-striking, but you must take adequate care to prevent poisoning. Almost all types of paints can cause some adverse effects if you do not follow the right procedures. Ensure your dog has limited access to the paints. Though a small taste may not cause significant problems, you need to look out for signs of poisoning at all times. If you suspect or know that your pet has been exposed to these chemicals, move fast and contact your vet. This way, you will be able to achieve your beautification objective without exposing the life of your pet to any form of danger.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *